Congratulations and prosperity! And, scallions!

Congratulations and prosperity!  恭喜发财 ! Kung Hei Fat Choi!

It is the Lunar New Year, and a very happy one at that. 2019 is the year of the Earth Pig, associated with intelligence and prosperity-- please look up a reputable Chinese astrologer for more information on that if you are curious about it.

((Storytime: I once lived in Oakland's Chinatown. Every morning, I took a bus through the district for work, and it was crowded edge to edge with my Chinese neighbors who complained, "aiya... aiya.." while they brought fish and fowl and garden vegetables to or from the morning market, in ripe-smelling plastic bags. My neighborhood grocery store was Chinese. I walked there twice a week, and navigated new-to-me produce and ingredients and how to cook with them, with the help of kind grandmothers who took pity on me. I fell in love with Chinese cooking amid the chaos of language and the market. My cat, Julian, used to follow me to the store, and the grandmothers at the store absolutely doted on him. They were probably slipping him bits of dried fish. At any rate, he was welcome at the grocery store, and no-one ever mentioned my cat shopping for groceries with me as being odd. /Storytime))

In honor of such a prosperous year as the Earth Pig (especially for a humble Rabbit, such as myself) I want to offer up an amazing recipe, but the best ones I can think of are the simplest. So today, here is a mini feature on green onions-- also known as scallions-- and a teaser of some recipes to come.


Green onions: the daffodils of the kitchen

Green onions, like ordinary onions, are associated with absorbing negative energy and protection, but they are particularly known for healing the sick. They are very important in Traditional Chinese Medicine and are used to treat a wide variety of illnesses. Because they are so easy to grow (just put the trimmed root ends in a glass of water to re-grow them) they also have properties of fertility and prosperity. They are good additions to almost any work or recipe where the intent is to promote good health.

Here are some of my favorite recipes for green onions:

Black scallion noodles

Simple potstickers

Scallion pancakes with spicy dipping sauce



Black Scallion Noodles 


---

Interested in more Chinese style recipes? I have these recipes planned for future posts:

Lamb crusted with Northern spices

Mansion ribs (yes, I will post the recipe here eventually. I see you, fans. I see you.)

Ginger Bok Choy

Hot-oil chicken soup

Comments

Popular Posts